I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for electing me as the new Commander for Post 230 in Spring Lake, North Carolina. It is truly humbling to be part of something bigger than me and I know the entire executive team is looking forward to the next year in service to our active-duty, Veterans, and family membership that we have internal to the post.
As many have told me, I have big shoes to fill. The Past Commander Mark Erskine has been a staple to Post 230 for the past four years as its Commander. As many of you will learn soon, he will soon be recognized as the Legionnaire of the Year for 2017 and it is clear that our goal as a Post is to continue the great work he has done. Mark is still part of the Post and has accepted the role of Finance officer to help us continue moving forward with Hurricane Matthew repairs.
Post 230 has an amazing history of supporting Fort Bragg and the surrounding active-duty, Veteran and family community. As we move into the next year we want to expand on the already impactful things we do inside of the community. Many of the areas we will be focused on may not begin till later on during the current executive leadership time in office, but we hope to pass off the best possible use of the post to those that come after us.
Commander Priorities 2018
1) Completion of Hurricane Matthew repairs to include construction of new facility and completion of repairs of old facility.
2) Squadron Chapter of the Sons of The American Legion stood up and supporting Post 230.
3) Continued growth of the Auxiliary Unit 230 to help support daughters and grand-daughters of military service members.
4) Reach our 100% membership goal by October 31, 2018.
5) Growth of American Legion Post 230 to a total of 600 members by 30 May 2018.
6) Sponsorship of a Legion Baseball team in 2018 for local community.
7) Adoption and Sponsorship of Jr. Shooting Program inside of Post 230.
8) Creation of a scholarship fund to be awarded to at least one child in the local community attending college in 2019. Goal for scholarship fund will be $1500
9) Support and Sponsorship of Boy Scouts merit badge testing and events on Post grounds. Support would include at least one of the before mentioned areas.
10) Support and Sponsorship of at least one Veteran Action Benefits group event at Post 230 supporting active-duty, Veterans and families of our community.
11) Growth of the Legion Riders to include impactful events happening all over the state of NC with a focus on scholarship money raising for the Legacy Scholarship Fund and internal scholarship fund.
Many of the goals listed above we are already working on and were started by the past commander. We will need the entire membership to support these goals so we can impact our local community and ensure we are adhering to the four pillars of the American Legion. None of the goals described above are out of reach and with the support of our members, Auxiliary Unit 230, Legion Riders and Sons of The American Legion we can easily meet each of them.
We are looking forward to our service to this great post and know that we are always available for our members. If you have any questions or need to talk with the leadership you can call us at 910-745-7468 or email: email@example.com
I look forward to meeting everyone and supporting our entire membership!
American Legion Post 230
"For God, Community and Country"